What makes YOU happy?
Joy and Bliss can come from the little and most unexpected things if only we Program our Mind to enjoy these little things.
While we all desire to be happy, most of us don’t really think about what makes us happy. We smile, we laugh, we may have a twinkle in our eyes, we may be singing or dancing, but often, these are spontaneous expressions of joy, perhaps without us even giving it a thought about what it was that actually made us happy.
Happiness comes from different things for different people. Some of us need the best that money can buy to be happy. For instance, a luxurious holiday, a Caribbean cruise would make us feel jubilant. Or perhaps owning and driving a Mercedes Benz would thrill us to bits. Happiness, in this case, is dependent on materialistic things. But what happens if we can no longer buy or afford such “expensive” happiness? Imagine how miserable our lives can be in adverse circumstances, when our money can no longer buy us things that delight us.
Big Things or Small Things?
However, there are some people who are still happy without “big things” – the luxuries or things that money can buy. They don’t need to travel the world to be happy. They may not even own a car! It is not big things that make them happy. But their faces glow and they are happy. What makes such people happy?
The answer is simple enough – the little things around them. It may be just dancing in the rain or taking a walk on the beach. Maybe a bunch of flowers in their backyard will fill them with Joy or a dog wagging its tail.
The wonder of little things!
Instead of seeking happiness from big things, let us Program our Mind, train it to enjoy the small and unexpected things around us. How?
- Be mindful of the beauty that surrounds us. Observe it. Look up at the sky, the sunrise and sunset, the moon, the stars. Look at the trees and flowers. Stop to see a butterfly. You will be awe-struck! The next time you step out, remember to notice and appreciate the loveliness of what we think are ordinary things, what we take for granted.
- Experience and connect with Nature. You will be surprised at how uplifting it can be to feel the breeze against your face, or the warmth of the sun on a cool day or waves rippling on your feet on a seashore.
- Spend time with those you love – family, friends, pets. No million dollars needed here!
- Smile and laugh more often. Learn to humour yourself. A smile and laugh cost nothing. Laugh at your own silliness. Share a joke. Spread smiles
- Find joy in small things, like eating your favourite food, be it a salad or ice cream. Going for a walk or flying a kite. Even watching a good movie on TV!
- Cultivate a passion, a hobby – do something creative. Write, paint, sing, dance, listen to music – something you truly love to do.
And of course, an attitude of gratitude, helping others, feeling content and staying positive are some other little ways that are sure to make us feel happy.
Remember, the greater joy we can find in the small things that come our way, the happier we will be!
2065total visits,1visits today